Monday, October 6, 2008

Prost! Salud! Sláinte!



FYI, if I blog about a beer, you know it's got to be good. I am, after all, one of those annoying pearls-and-chardonnay girls who sometimes gets wild with a nice Oregon pinot noir. (Although, I swear, I really do have friends. Many of whom think barley and hops counts as a food group.)

But today was long and the stock market (down 800? SERIOUSLY?) roller coaster nearly gave me a heart attack every time the DJIA dipped another 100 points. That explains why 14 hours after I started my work day, the boy and I (along with some friends) kicked back with some Duchesse De Bourgogne and Guitar Hero. Made in Belgium by Brouwerij Verhaeghe, this traditional Flemish red ale is really, really, really freakin' fabulous.

According to people who actually have palates for these things, Duchesse is known for its "smooth with a rich texture and interplay of passion fruit, and chocolate, and a long, dry and acidic finish."
I think it just tastes lovely, smooth and totally different than any other beer I've had. It's slightly sweet and 100 percent fantastic. So, head down to your neighborhood Whole Foods, or kick-ass local liquor store and buy yourself a bottle. Or three.

You can thank me later.

P.S. Want to know how to say "cheers" in all kinds of languages? Click here. Yay interwebs.

No comments: