Friday, October 24, 2008

A handmade holiday!


Earlier this week, I said I was trying really hard to make a lot of my Christmas gifts for friends. I'm not particularly craft, but I try my best. But, even if you have to left thumbs (ha! get it?) you can make it a handmade holiday too!

Check out cool stores in your town, or go nuts on Etsy.com. Try baking cookies for friends instead of some perfunctory gift. Check out Uncommon Goods, one of my favorite stores. Sure, not everything there is handmade, but they have a great selection of, er, uncommon goods. If you're in Chicago, check out Renegade Handmade in Wicker Park. And there's the Renegade Craft Fair's Christmas Show in early December in Pulaski Park.

Want more reasons why you should add handmade elements into your Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Yule, etc? How about the more than 28,000 people who've signed the Buy Handmade pledge, which says:


I pledge to buy handmade this holiday season and request others do the same
for me.
The Web site lists all kinds of reasons why you should make it a handmade holiday. Here's one more just from me: Handmade presents mean you can probably save yourself some kind of I-Hate-Humanity meltdown at your local overcrowded mall. And will keep your blood pressure from boiling and and your liver from malfunctioning (after you've consumed all the tequila necessary to compensate for that annoying teenage sales clerk at the mall who just couldn't bear to stop texting and ring up your order.)

You also get the benefit of giving someone a one-of-a-kind gift.

Pretty cool huh?

No comments: