Saturday, October 18, 2008

Defying gravity.


Yeah, yeah. I know. I'm years late to this party. But the Mother and I finally got to see Wicked today. And holy shit, it was freakin' fabulous. I was totally crying my eyeballs out at the end. Like, audibly sniffling. (Although, full disclosure: I've been known to get weepy at a particularly good cotton ball.)

We both agreed that it was superb, especially with Annaleigh Ashford as Glinda and Dee Roscioli as Elphaba.

I guess I was kind of suprised by the depth of the plot. I hadn't read the book (possibly, mistake No. 1), but there was much more substance and subtext than I thought there'd be.

Here's a sample of my favorite quotes:

"Where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true - we call it history!"

"Because I knew you, I have been changed for good."

"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same. I'm through with playing by the rules. Of someone else's game. Too late for second-guessing. Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts. Close my eyes: and leap."

So anyway, if you're one of the three people who haven't seen Wicked yet, get on the boat with us. It was absotively fabulous. And just to reinforce its fabulousness, here's a picture of the marquis outside the Ford Center for the Performing Arts/Oriental Theatre in Chicago.

No comments: