Thursday, December 4, 2008

Running, running, runnning out of time.


I'm writing this while in the midst of one of my patented Noodles Panic Spirals.

Why? Because it's Dec. 4, but may as well be Jan. 4. (Don't get me started on my issues with the start of 2009. Too much leftover goals from 2008!)

Here's the deal.

I'm type A. Like, REALLY Type A. Like, lists and spreadsheets make me happy. Surprises and I don't get along. (Don't get me wrong, I'm totally down with being a go-with-the-flow girl. But I'm already told my best friends that should I eventually get married, they should all expected three ring binders with tabbed dividers to help them keep track of details.)

But tonight is my last night of down time until well after Christmas. And that's only because I was so tired from work today that I promptly collapsed after getting home and slept through the start of the CD release concert I was supposed to attend.

My to-do list for Friday and the weekend so far includes 17 points. 17! And that was just what I remembered.

I love the holidays and all that it stands for. It's such a special time and I want to always be so absolutely perfect. But I don't feel like I have the time to stop and smell the chestnuts (snicker. I'm funny.) But instead, I'm rushing around cleaning, planning, ordering, organizing, figuring out how to keep The Mom and The Dad entertained during their lengthy visit to Chicago, making sure I don't have white trash-looking roots for NEXT weekend's trip back to Maryland to celebrate the grandma's birthday. That's just the personal stuff. There's mega things to be done at work, the announcement of mini professional evaluations that must be completed by next Friday...

Oh wait. I just thought of No. 18. (Complete project for Holiday Gift Swap.)

Le sigh. Screw that. Le groan!

It just seems so overwhelming.

How do you guys handle it?

It just seems so entirely easy to get wrapped up in the rush and miss the amazingly good stuff that goes on just once a year.

2 comments:

The Modern Gal said...

I don't know what the mini professional evaluation is, but the thought of it makes me shudder.

I pretty much cope the same way you do: extensive list, then freak out.

Melaina25 said...

I have no idea what I am getting anyone this year. Except for Sabrina, isn't she a lucky girl ;)