Sunday, November 23, 2008

'Tis the season, etc.

I'm a Christmas girl. Always have been. Always will be.
For example:
_ In October, I knew the weekend I'd be getting my Christmas tree (Dec. 7, for those of you who are interested.)
_ My iTunes Christmas music list is 6 hours long. Without repeats.
_ And the thought of roaring fires, hot chocolate, caroling, and pine just makes me all tingly inside. Even when sober.

So, needless to say, I was squealed like a little girl when I saw that Quiltology was having a stocking sewing class. Now, being the aforementioned Christmas fanatic, I already own my stocking. (Also in my store unit: stockings for The Mutt, The Dad and The Mom.) But this is my first Christmas with The Boy, who will be officially calling my tiny place home when Santa comes to visit. And, lo and behold, he did not have a stocking with him.
After I got over stuttering and stammering and generally making a fool out of my self, I set out to make him one. Because, really, who wants a store-bought stocking when your lovely, fabulous and fantastic girl friend has a great relationship with a sewing machine?


I have to say, I'm DAMN pleased with the result.

The boy helped pick out the fabric and a lovely woman gave me a scrap of her vintage-y looking Merry Christmas fabric, which I think really makes the design.

Here's a closer shot:



If you're interested in making one of these, check out the book New Noel, currently available on Amazon. I'm psyched to use some of my scraps from this project to make ornaments for my Christmas swap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, you've just carved out a potential entrepreneurial niche for yourself in the event our grown-up jobs go away.

--roscoemama

Unknown said...

this is beautiful, Ashley! I'm so envious of your crafty side. ON a related note, my parents are spending Christmas with Matt and I (first time I get to host my very own Christmas!) so I asked my mom to make us a set of commemorative stockings. They are in the mail! Word on the street is she made two little ones for Cleo and the other cat.

The Modern Gal said...

Seriously, you should start selling some of your stuff on Etsy to fund your fabric habit.

Really cute. I love the Merry Christmas fabric.