Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I'm peeved. (And other tales of woe.)


This is my sewing machine. My lovely, borrowed sewing machine. And I'm afraid it's about to die. Which is a problem on a whole variety of fronts, the least of which is that it's not, you know, mine.

Apparently, the Kenmore Mini Ultra was not designed to piece five quilts, a dozen handbags, a series of place mats and a variety of other projects. And now, I think it needs hospice care.

I happened to ask Santa (ie, Dr. & Mrs. Noodles) to consider buying me a new machine for Christmas. I researched and test drove and came up with this beauty, a Singer 7466 Touch & Sew.
Trust me when I say it's splendiferous, full of all kinds of fancy stitches that I'm sure I'll NEVER need, but com'n, really... isn't that half the fun?

The other issue is that I really, really wanted to make most of my Christmas presents this year. Sewing is a re-discovered hobby and I can't wait to share what I've learned and made with my closest peeps and peepettes. That said, I also don't want to put my friend's lovely machine in the grave to do it.

So, now I'm stuck. Christmas is just over a month away (Sidebar: can we take a second to have a collective "holy shit" moment at that?) and I'm stuck.

Luckily, I've been spending a lot of time at my favorite sewing/quilting studio on the AMAZING machines, which cost a hell of a lot more more than my mortgage payments. So I guess the moral of this story is that if you want to find me between now and Christmas, head down to Halsted and Wrightwood.

I'll be the one covered in thread while cursing like a sailor. (It's part of my charm.)

No comments: