Thursday, February 12, 2009

I am a greedy, greedy girl.


As it relates to, well, almost everything, I'm one of those eyes-bigger-than-stomachs people. It's probably why I can't read just one book at a time. Or why I can't just decide to try a triathlon OR a century and instead think I can do both. Or, well, the list goes on and on.

But needless to say, when it comes to all manner of sewing and crafting, I can't be left to my own devices. That's why I'm currently taking a class to do a blooming nine patch quilt, why I'm about to start one of Oh Fransson's mix tape patterns, and why I'm about to poke my eyeballs out in anticipation of trying my hand at Amy Butler's oh-so-adorable Charm pattern.

Measuring 50x50, the pattern itself is more of a big crib-sized quilt. But I want to tinker with the math and make it into a queen for my bed. (I totally blame the good folks at Quiltology for my Charm fascination, after see an in-progress one up on the design wall tonight.) Apparently, however, it's a total pain in the ass. Funky dimensions for the squares and then you have to appliqué the football shapes on the top. Having never actually appliquéd, I'm sure that I might want to shoot myself when I get to that point in the process, but ... EEEEP.

I am probably overly ambitious here and should try this as a baby quilt first before screwing with the pattern and making a big one for my bed. But... well, what fun is that????

2 comments:

Sarah said...

That Charm quilt was the first quilt that brought me in off the streets to Quiltology and I've never been the same girl since. I still have a pile of fat quarters waiting to be made into it. Nice to see it again. I can't believe that you will attempt a queen size...that is mucho trabajo. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm kind of worried that it's going to be a much bigger pain in the ass than I anticipate. But I'm wondering if I can tweak it, so the underlying squares all all the same size, instead of the funky measurements they have on the pattern, and maybe trim down the number of football columns... Hum. Must thing... But will require assistance on that.