Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How to throw a non-lame baby shower.

I think baby showers are lame. They're one of my favorite things to rant about because it baffles my mind that smart women get together and spend time doing decidedly stupid games. We're better than that ladies! (Bridal showers, incidentally, are far more lame, however.)

So when some friends and I decided to host a baby shower for our decidedly non-lame friend, we knew we had to do something to honor the fabulousness of this momma to be, without having to deal with a shower game that involves deciphering melted chocolate bars stuffed into diapers.

This weekend was the shower and I've got to say, it was just what we wanted, straight down to the custom-designed invites made by fellow hostess, Kristin.

The menu was, in short, orgasmicly good, thanks to the culinary skills of Ginny. (I was her kitchen bitch where we learned that I am not to ever, EVER assist in the making of deviled eggs. But that is a story for another time.) The only food that was purchased were these petit fours, which came from Publix. Everything else was made from scratch by Ginny with an assist from me.


My favorite was the leek and gruyere tart and the zucchini latkes topped with creme fraiche. Here's Ginny rolling out the dough for the leek and gruyere tart.


Mmmm. Latkes. Some were also topped with a spicy apple chutney.


Ginny rescued my mutilated deviled eggs and gave me something else to do so I couldn't cause further damage. Yep -- I stuffed each of those peppers with a mixture of goat cheese and herbs.



And tarts! Did I mention the lemon tarts, with fresh cream and a raspberry glaze?


The food was awesome, but the company was even better. Here's our favorite pediatrician groping a pregnant belly. Diagnosis: feet on the right, butt further down on the left. Head pointing south. Due date: 3 weeks and counting.


One of the cooler things we did was write notes to baby Josie, which her parents will give her every year on her birthday. I got some cute, blank note cards at The Paper Source and used stamps to personalize each one for each birthday.


Every year, she'll read one card. But every year, she'll also read a note that's short and simple with a quote that I love: "Go into this world well. But more importantly, go into this world and do good." Minor Myers, Jr.



Then it was time for gifts:


We asked each guest to consider skipping the card and instead, inscribe a note to Josie inside the cover of their favorite children's book. Seriously, if you're ever planning a baby shower, DO THIS. Brides-to-be can have stock the bar parties. Why can't babies have stock the bookshelf parties?


And the gifts were so kick ass and thoughtful. Check out this handmade sock monkey. I wanted to steal it. And name her Clementine.


I made a quilt. And this banner for the nursery. It doubled as a shower decoration.


Friends knitted blankets and crocheted the cutest sweater, hat and booties. (Incidently, Kristin, if you're reading this, can I have the hat and booties in growup sizes? Pretty please?)


I'll finish up with sharing my favoritest picture from the whole thing. Let's hope this poor woman births Josie soon, because this cannot be comfortable.

1 comment:

The Modern Gal said...

Ginny, if you're reading this, I'm going to steal you and make you cook for me. Forever. Yep.

Man, I'm so sad I missed the shower. It looks like it was a lot of fun.