Monday, March 2, 2009

Lah dee dah.

Once, when I studied abroad, I went through a really and truly horribly 48 hours when I had nothing by the chorus of Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" in my head. Forty-eight long, long, painful hours. I don't care how hot Eddie Vedder is, that's about 44 hours too long for that song. (True story: an ex once said Vedder was the only dude he'd ever consider sleeping with. Since the chances of that are up there with the chances that I'll be a size 4, I did not feel threatened.)

I share because, well, I always share. And because I thought I'd illuminate how prone I am to brain worm songs. Because of this, my desk mate and I absolutely love to play the obnoxious song game. Mainly, this consists of me saying, "Hey Karen! Guess what song I have in my head?" before she gives me the death glare and puts her hands over her ears. Since I am oh-so-mature, I will often start humming the chorus, she shrieks and then, well, all bets are off because she'll launch a counter attack.

(For the record, there are few songs more obnoxious than Kelis' "Milkshake." "Damn right, it's better than yours!" AHHHHH. And, once, a few months ago, my exceptionally gay hairdresser turned to me mid foil and said "Damn girl, I bet your milk shake DOES bring all the boys to the yard." )

So, needless to say, when someone else in the office started playing Dan Fogelberg's "Leader of the Band" this afternoon, I knew I was totally, completely and 100 percent screwed.



Why they were discussing Fogelberg, who I insisted on calling Dan Fogenfloogie, is beyond me. Although, according to the all-knowing Wikipedia, he was from Peoria. My ears happened to perk up at the wrong time. Which explains why I am now in my jammies, trying to escape the 1981 song.

Le sigh indeed.


1 comment:

The Modern Gal said...

Ha ha ha ha. My mom liked this song when I was little. Not. Giving. In.

That band I went to see on Friday night was preceded by a really awful cover band who played all the stereotypical college cover band covers such as "Family Tradition." The headline band and singer sang all this great music, but I'm sure you can guess what song was in my head Saturday morning.