Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hispters! Ahoy!

Sure, I mock the skinny-pants-wearing-deliberately-ironic-with-80s-hair-and-tattoos set. But, when it comes to crafty things, the hipsters are my people.

In a quilting world filled with too much calico, cheesy prints like this, and other assorted shiver-enducing grossness adored by beige-wearing old ladies, the Renegade Craft Fair is like HEAVEN. Skinny pants, deliberately ironic, 80s-hair HEAVEN.

I always find cute stuff I love that inevitably fuels my letterpress obsession along with great kitsch. Even better, I always leave inspired. Of course, I'm lucky because there's a Renegade Handmade shop in town (think Etsy, but in person.) Although, the store charges a hefty commission, so the prices tend to be really expensive.

Still, I'm totally psyched for this year's show. And seriously hoping it doesn't pour like it did last year. Or melt me like it did the year before that.

Anyone here going?

Yay indie artists! May they live long. And prosper.

2 comments:

Mo said...

Unfortunately there is no Renegade in San Diego, but I did make it to the Brooklyn one a few years ago, and it was a blast! I liked the goodie bags they gave out because they had little note cards and fun trinkets in them.

Skinny jeans rule.

Bayjb said...

I LOVE the Renegade Craft Fair and I've never been able to go. But this year it's on the calendar, I can't wait.