Monday, September 29, 2008

It's not you. It's the onion.


Onions are the bane of my existence. Ok, not exactly true. (Full disclosure: I'm a total drama queen.)

But, really, few things suck more than wandering around the house -- usually with my chef's knife in hand -- frantically waving at my red, tearing, and blinky eyes while I'm trying to make dinner. (And yes, I've even stooped so low to cut onions while wearing goggles. I'm sure it was comical to all involved.) But really? Who needs all this stress inflicted because of a stupid damn-yet-tasty onion.

It wasn't until I took a knife skills class here, that someone finally showed me a no-cry technique.

It's kind of hard to explain, but check out this neat YouTube video:




Too complicated? Try this on for size. Just chop your onion (any old way) next to your gas stove, while a flame is on. I've heard different reasons why this keeps your eyes tear-free: everything from the flame creating some kind of convection to the fact that the flame helps gaseous sulfur compounds released by the onion burn off before they can irritate your eyes.

Regardless of the science, which I'm sure is fabulously cool, this trick totally works. In fact, tonight's dinner = totally tear free.

If you don't have a gas burner, try a votive candle.
Just don't, you know, burn down your house. Because that would suck more than crying over a stinkin' onion.

No comments: